As one of my assessment criticisms was to move out of my comfort zone of doing linocut, I decided to approach this printed poster brief with a new technique; one I have used before many years ago but only once as I struggled to refine the technique as it is somewhat unpredictable.
However before using the traditional monoprint method, I thought I would experiment scratching a drawing into the rolled out ink to see if there was any way I could develop a method that would allow me to get more than one print from it. Although I really didn’t like the way the lines came off when printed. They weren’t fine lined drawings and were much to harsh when looking at the overall print afterwards, not to mention, too much ink was used.
With my previous tests in mind, I moved onto the traditional monoprint method; inking up my ink tray, blotting the ink off and laying a piece of paper that will pick up the ink where I press down on it. I found this way to be extremely successful as it picked up the finer details of my plant studies very well but also the gritty, faded aesthetic of the print reminded me of the grittiness and dirt of the East London area and thinking about my poster as if depicting this but beautifully. The images below demonstrate, how I continued to develop my experimentation with the technique and further refine it, also experimenting with composition.