After researching more on Editorial Illustration, there was a studio session with Nick whereby he showed us how to approach a text in order to generate imagery. This involved going through the text and pulling out visuals that stood out to you. As I hadn’t picked a text prior to this, I was given one. Love and Loss in E1 wasn’t a text I would pick but this proved to be helpful as we are often told the briefs you are given are not always particularly interesting. In small groups with others doing the same text, we dissected the text looking for visuals, noting them down as we went along.
After doing this, individually we began putting together the visuals in order to create roughs of our potential final illustrations. They’re roughs as they allow details to be changed but still enable play with composition ideas. The imagery I used were things that stood out to me and felt as though I could do a lot with and elements that I felt represented the true heart of the text and would accompany it successfully.