The City Meets Its Nature
Realising I had my specimens of nature from the city, I saw that they lacked context of the urban environment which is what I specified in my brief. Thus I thought to go about collecting sounds of the surrounding space, which is vibrant and bustling with the life of the city’s inhabitants.
Cyanotype Experiments with My Collected Plants
After putting my pressed plants under a microscope, I realised that I needed to gain a better understanding of how specimens are presented as such, especially after my visits to the Grant Museum and Natural History Museum, seeing how they’re placed in jars and labelled – the best way to do this by putting my collection through a range of different processes. Beginning with photograms.
An Alternative View of Nature
Deciding to look much closer at nature on my walks, I took it upon myself to start collecting. In the same way old botanists used to collect plants in order to study and classify them. I used my flower press to preserve them, which I thought would allow me to press them and observe their shapes, patterns and textures – maybe even drawing from the collection.
Fleshing Out My Composition with Adobe Comp for iPad Pro
Having selected my idea, I scanned selected sketchbook spreads, picking pages that had a likeness in illustrations so that my posters would have some continuity and the narrative across the three would be evident. I then proceeded to mock up my ideas using Adobe Comp on my iPad Pro (see below), so that anything I design that I thought worked well in terms of composition, could be directly sent to InDesign, in order to be set properly with grids, layers, and kerning and tracking.
Drawing Out my Initial Poster Ideas
Before working with images directly from my sketchbook, I scribbled three possible composition ideas as a guide so I didn’t feel like I was just making it up as I was going along and that creating a more developed mock up in Adobe Composition would be less time consuming. The process of doing this was helpful in getting me to visualise how my idea would fit to the final poster format, which isn’t something I had really considered in great detail beforehand.
Working with Imagery from My Own Creative Process
Looking at the ways in which other sketchbooks are presented made me think about how best to present my own creative exploration/ process; in terms of the illustration of different materials in many of the publications I looked at, as well as the inclusion of rough sketchbook notes – which is appealing because they feel authentically created.
Layers in a publication format
Exploring the idea of thinking about a box metaphorically to complete my final box set of prints, I decided to print out the scanned images of both my distorted type and letterpress experiments to test the possibility of making a publication.
Narrowing Down My Ideas for my D&AD Posters
Despite having decided on three pieces of advice I wanted to use to create my posters, I soon realised I was having great difficulty creating work that experimented with illustration and composition, mostly because the three different ideas had room for individual development. So I decided it would perhaps make more sense for me to pick my favourite of the ideas to develop three posters from. I picked ‘Be and Explorer’ because I think it reflects me most and the way I approach projects creatively.
Reworking my FMP focus
After writing my own brief for my FMP, to reimagine London as a new place, and working observationally based on visits to Kew Gardens and the Barbican Conservatory, I felt like I got myself into a situation where I was pointlessly mark making and the illustrations themselves, even just in my sketchbook weren’t helping me develop my initial thinking. I put this down to the fact I had been exploring nature spaces and drawing that’s somehow made me feel like I’m being slightly closed minded.
Using Letterpress with My Text
Seeing that I had now directed my focus on using the collection of postcards as my point of development and inspiration, I thought to experiment with typography on the other end of the spectrum away from hand rendered type, using more structured type thus using the letterpress facilities was perfectly suited for that particular exploration.